Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cast Your Vote for the Domain Game

Tomorrow I will be officially (well as much as this blog can muster official) unveiling the winner of the Domain Game name contest.

I was pleased as punch with the recent stabs at participatory game design here at the HC, so I am going to throw the gates open to you, the unwashed masses, again.

Here's your chance to cast a consultative vote in the contest:
  1. Look through the long, long list below of name nominees (sorry nominations are now closed).
  2. Pick up to three names of your choice in the comments section. You are only allowed to vote for  one of your own nominees.
  3. Feel free to motivate a particular choice (you don't have to).
  4. At 8 pm CST tomorrow I will count up the votes—and choose one from the top ten most popular picks. Winner to be announced later that night.
Nominees:
Domains of Lordly Might
By Divine Right
Wizards and Warlords
Warlords and Warlocks
Barons and Bugbears
Dominions Of Mayhem And Iniquitous Nepotism
The End Game
Overlords
Playing for Keeps
Serfs and Turf
Domains and Dragons
Below Wild Skies
Wild Skies
It Shall be Ours!
Ours!
Sceptre
Sceptre and Orb
Reach
Order
Orders & Borders
Realm
Realms
Explore & Expand
Explorations & Expansions
Oats & Moats
Striking Out
Subjugation
Subjugator
Liege Lord
Feudalism: The RPG
Feudal Lord
Rule By Might
Do My Bidding
Yes My Regent
Regent
Heavy Lies The Crown
By This Axe I rule
Yes Your Grace
It's Good To Be The King
The Throne
Throne of Might
A Lord's Wishes
Your Wish Is My Command
Off With His Head
Lords & Peasants
Dreams of Empire
Strongholds & Stratagems
Liege
Tower, Temple and Keep
Lord and Master
Outrageous Fortunes
After the Dungeon
Name Level the RPG
Oath of Fealty
Lairs & Legacies
Legacy
Game of Princes
Sovereignty
Seasons of Glory
Hill Cantons
Cantons & Confederacy
Domain.
Land Lord
Power Play: Leadership and Machinations for Fantasy Role Playing Games.
Liege Lord
Sword & Crown
Domains of Adventure
Legacies of Power
Lordly Realms
By Might and by Right
Right of Birth
Eminent Domains
Immanent Domains
Manifest Destinies
Borderlands
Borders
Power Play
Aggrandizer!: playing for power in FRPGs

28 comments:

  1. Borderlands
    Strongholds & Stratagems
    Tower, Temple and Keep

    I love Barons & Bugbears, but the 3 first one seems me more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Game of Princes
    Hill Cantons
    Power Play

    Ditto on Barons & Bugbears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barons & Bugbears is an old running joke between Jim/Wampus and me, so I am highly partial myself haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Domains of Lordly Might
    By Divine Right
    By This Axe I Rule

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like "By This Axe I Rule" for the pun on ACKS; also self-referentially "Domains of Lordly Might" echoes "Domains of War", the ACKS mass-combat system, and "Hill Cantons" is self-referential in a different way and also evocative of what you're after.
    - Tavis

    ReplyDelete
  6. First Rank: Borderlands
    This invokes frontiers, civilization in flux, struggle against adversaries. Most importantly, it references B2, a beloved adventure and brings the idea full circle (an adventurer started his career on the border and now influences or controls it).

    Second Rank: Seasons of Glory
    Medieval reading suggests that property and 'domain' were the real end result of a fighting man's career. Ares makes gentle the season of a warrior's life in which time is spent studying maps of places known to him.

    Third Rank: Hill Cantons
    This just fits - the definition of a canton, the administrative essence of a domain, the acquisition of hills that were once haunted and now are occupied by grazing cattle safely within a lord's fences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heavy Lies The Crown
    Liege
    Strongholds & Stratagems

    ReplyDelete
  8. By Might and by Right
    Playing for Keeps
    Hill Cantons

    ReplyDelete
  9. By Divine Right (by David)
    By This Axe I Rule (by myself - I can only pick one, hehe.)
    Dreams of Empire (by Sean Wills)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... don't get me wrong: all the actual game material you post? I love it. But these names? They all sound pretty awful. Names are hard though, and the product itself sounds great so if you're selling this for money, I'll buy it regardless of what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Names are hard, which is why the Domain Game was the "Domain Game" for eight months--and why we have a contest. It's funny, I wrote headlines for a living for almost a decade but I get totally stone walled when it comes to fantasy gaming products.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BARONS n' BUGBEARS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Wampus/Jim
    Why doesn't that surprise me?

    I think you'd fit right in with the San Antonio HC gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit that my favorite on that list is Oats & Moats - that is just too good! I am pretty partial to Overlords however...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hell, just call it The Domain Game. Descriptive and to the point, and everyone's been calling it that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll probably change my mind as soon as I post this. Many of these are great, and it's a hard choice, but I like the simpler one best, like:

    Sword & Crown
    Scepter (or Sceptre, if one must, for that "ye olde englishe" feel...or for international marketing or something)
    Liege

    Alternates would include "Fealty" and "Strongholds & Stratagems." I thought "Serfs and Turf" was hilariously appropriate, but "funny" is probably not the tone you're looking for on this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Borderlands: Playing for Keeps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Strongholds and Stratagems - this exemplifies what being a player in the game is/was like.

    Power Play - Leadership etc etc - the sheer length of the title amused me.

    After the Dungeon - hits that wilderness exploration vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Liege Lord - captures the importance of oaths and alliances

    By this Axe I rule - has an awesome, mercenary feel and a nice ring to it

    Rule by Might - or perhaps 'Rule by Right or by Might' encapsulates the strength and heroism needed for true greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  20. By this ax i rule

    By divine right

    Barons & bugbears

    ReplyDelete
  21. Playing For Keeps
    Tower, Temple and Keep
    Hill Cantons

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lordly Realms
    Manifest Destinies
    Aggrandizer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Domains of Lordly Might
    By This Axe I Rule
    Liege Lord

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like:

    Domains of Lordly Might
    Serfs and Turf
    After the Dungeon

    ReplyDelete
  25. In this order:

    Tower, Temple and Keep
    Domains of Lordly Might
    Lordly Realms

    ReplyDelete
  26. Domains of Lordly Might
    It's Good To Be The King
    Tower, Temple and Keep

    ReplyDelete